Admission started on Madurai Kamaraj University (Distance Education)
About the Madurai Kamaraj University
Exam Results Nov. 2009 e-Hall Ticket Apr.2010 e-Nominal Roll Apr.2010 Application & Remittance Forms Downloadable FAQ (Ask your doubts) Unclaimed Certificates Personal Contact
(Tamilnadu) Alumni Assn. Proposed Exam Schedule Genuineness Certificate
(Fee Revision) Right to Information Revaluation Form
MBA Course is offered in Semester Pattern
* * * * *
in the Campus
* * * * *
● Admission Centers (Tamilnadu) ● Study Centers (Other States) ● Study Centers (Overseas) ● Training Centers (Tamilnadu) ● Training Centers (Other States)
● Within Tamilnadu ● Other States ● Other Countries
** Calendar Year Admissions (10C ) Now Open -- Last Date 30-June-2010 **
Recently this University was accorded the status of "University with Potential for Excellence" - A status conferred by University Grants Commission so far on 9 such Universities in the Country.
Madurai Kamaraj University, established in 1966, has 18 Schools comprising 72 Departments. The Directorate of Distance Education of the University has a student strength of about 1.30 lakhs. The University has 109 affiliated Colleges (9 Autonomous) including other approved institutions and 7 evening colleges. There are centres which promote research potential of teachers. Extension activities are carried out through Department of Youth Welfare, NSS, SC/ST cell and Adult Education programmes.
Madurai Kamaraj University, (originally known as Madurai University) was named after the historical city of Madurai, the ancient capital of the Pandyan rulers and the seat of three famous Tamil academies going back to the beginnings of the Christian and even perhaps an earlier Era, was inaugurated on 6th February 1966 at the heart of the city. Its nucleus was the Extension centre of the University of Madras located at Madurai.
Two years later, the foundation stone for a new campus was laid by Dr. Zakir Hussain, the then President of India on Madurai - Theni road, 13 kilometers to the west of the city. Since then the campus has grown into a beautiful University township with an extensive area of about 750 acres, appropriately called in Tamil "Palkalainagar". And in 1978, the name of the University was changed to Madurai Kamaraj University to honour one of the most illustrious sons of our country. The two components of the name may signify the pride in the hoary tradition of the Tamils and the present concern to live up to their ideals.
Motto : The motto of the University is "To seek truth is knowledge" and this has been taken from Tirukkural. The various items shown in the coat of Arms of the Emblem signify and represent the following :
- Pandya Gopuram Represents Madurai as an "Ancient City of learning" in Tamil Nadu.
- Burning Lamp & Open Book Represents knowledge.
- Elephant & Rocket Represents ancient tradition and modern technology.
- Lotus Represents purity and clarity.
- Two Fishes Represents the symbol on the Flag of the Pandya King.
- Activities of the University
- Extension activities
- The above activities are carried out by :
- Regular courses through affiliated colleges
- Distance Education Programmes and Open University Programmes through Directorate of Distance Education
- Post graduate and research programmes through the Departments of the University and other approved research centres
- Extension activities through National Service Scheme, Youth Welfare Department and Department of Adult & Continuing Education
The regular colleges follow Semester Pattern and the Distance Education follows Non-semester pattern. In the University Departments Choice Based Credit System is followed by which a student is free to choose subjects of his/ her choice.
- The services offered by the University :
- Granting affiliation to the various institutions under its jurisdiction
- Regulating admission
- Maintaining welfare, discipline and accommodation of students
- Grant of recognition to examinations of other Universities/ bodies
- Determining the eligibility criteria of students
- Conduct of examinations
- Issue of Certificates and award of Degrees
- Formulating of new syllabi and periodical restructuring of syllabi for all courses
PROGRAMMES OFFERED (TOTAL 112 )
SL. NO.PROGRAMME LEVEL
NO. OF PROGMS01UNDER GRADUATE2237602POST GRADUATE 3736203P.G. DIPLOMA 3215404DIPLOMA 12 4005CERTIFICATE03 0406PRE-DEGREE06 72TOTAL1121008
NO. OF COURSES
Last edited by Gyan Guru; 06-08-2010 at 03:59 PM.