CWA ICWA Final Stage III : Strategic Management and Marketing - June 2006
This Paper has 20 answerable questions with 0 answered.
Time Allowed : 3 Hours Full Marks : 100
This question paper has two parts A and B
Part A contains a set of ten objective type questions which are all compulsory.
In Part B you have to answer five questions.
The figures in the margin on the right side indicate break-up for marks.
PART A (Objective Type)
Answer all the questions. Choose the most appropriate one from the stated options
and write it down. That is, do not merely tick the appropriate choice.
Each correct answer carries two marks.
1. The Input/Output model explains the dominant influence of the
(a) External environment on strategic action;
(b) Firm’s resource base in firm’s strategic action;
(c) External and internal environment on firm’s strategic actions;
(d) Demographic factors on firm’s strategic actions;
(e) None of the above.
2. If suppliers are unreliable or too costly, which of the following strategies may be appropriate?
(a) Horizontal integration;
(b) Back ward integration;
(c) Market penetration;
(d) Concentric diversification;
(e) Forward integration.
3. Intensity of competition is __________ in low return industries.
(d) Not important;
(e) Dependant on industry nature.
4. What are enduring statements of purpose that distinguish one business from other similar firms?
(b) Mission statements;
(e) Nature of ownership.
5. Identifying and evaluating key social, political, economic, technological and market trends means
(a) Identifying a mission statement;
(b) Conducting an internal audit;
(c) Performing an external audit;
(d) Implementing a strategy;
(e) Making a strategic planning.
6. Ansoff proposed that for filling the corporate planning gap, one follows four strategies namely,
(a) Market penetration, product differentiation, market identification and diversification;
(b) Market penetration, product development, marketing research and diversification;
(c) Market penetration, product development, market development and diversification;
(d) Market identification, product development, positioning and diversification;
(e) Differentiation, product innovation, market opportunity and diversification.
7. Primary activities of the ‘Value Chain’ model include all of the following except
(a) In–bound logistics;
(c) Out–bound logistics;
8. McCarthy’s marketing mix refers to
(a) Price, push, pull and product;
(b) Price, promotion, place and product;
(c) Price, profit, promotion and product;
(d) Price, promotion, profit and product portfolio;
(e) Price, promotion, positioning and product.
9. The essential ingredients of Business Process Re–engineering (BPO) are
(a) Continuous improvements of products, processes and technologies;
(b) Planning for the technologies, processes and strategic partnership etc;
(c) Fundamental re-thinking and radical redesign of business process to achieve dramatic results;
(d) Generation, comparison and evolution of many ideas to find one worthy of development;
(e) Identification and selection of lay-outs most suited for products and processes.
10. Directional Policy Matrix is the same as
(a) The BCG model;
(b) The 9–cell GE matrix;
(c) The Life cycle portfolio analysis;
(d) The PIMS matrix;
(e) The 3 x 3 competitive positioning matrix.
Answer any five questions.Each answer must be brief, to the point and
illustrated with suitable examples, if necessary.
11. According to Porter’s model, what are the five competitive forces that determine industry publicity? Write short notes in any two of these forces. 6+10 (0)
(a) Why has strategic management become so important today?
(b) What are the pitfalls in strategic planning that management in an organization should watch out or avoid?
13. What is conglomerate diversification? Explain with suitable examples when conglomerate diversification would be a particularly good strategy to pursue. 6+10 (0)
14. Porter, in his ’Value Chain’ model proposed some activities of an organization. What are those activities and their relationship between them? 4+12 (0)
15. What do you understand by ‘Product Life Cycle(PLC)’? Draw a typical PLC curve indicating thereon the market share and market growth classification of product. 4+12 (0)
16. What is Marketing Research? Explain with an example the format of any one Quantitative or Scaling techniques of data collection. State any two methods of sampling procedures in a MR study. 4+6+6 (0)
17. Write short note on any two of the following with appropriate examples: 8x2
(a) Brand equity; (0)
(b) Premium and penetration pricing; (0)
(c) Organizational buying behaviour; (0)
(d) Merger/Acquisition strategy. (0)